Sunday, April 20, 2014

2014 Hugo Awards

2014 Hugo Award Nominee’s
The 2014 Hugo Award nominee’s are out.  I attended WorldCon last year so had a chance to nominate books I though should be considered.  One I nominated made the final list.  Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie was the one that made the final list.  The two others I nominated did not.  They were The Best of All Possible Worlds by Karen Lord and To Honor You Called Us by H. Paul Honsinger.  I really think that Karen Lord’s book should have made the cut.  To Honor You Called Us was a long shot but if a Military Science Fiction book was on the list I thought it should be the one. 
There are two I have not read on the list. I need to read Warbound (I have an ebook copy on my TBR pile) and The Wheel of Time before I vote.  Although I cannot attend I did purchase a supporting membership at Loncon 3 so I can vote.
2014 Hugo Award Nominees. 
Best Novel (1595 nominating ballots)
Ancillary Justice, Ann Leckie (Orbit US/Orbit UK)
Neptune’s Brood, Charles Stross (Ace / Orbit UK)
Parasite, Mira Grant (Orbit US/Orbit UK)
Warbound, Book III of the Grimnoir Chronicles, Larry Correia (Baen Books)
The Wheel of Time, Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson (Tor Books)     
1939 Retro-Hugo Awards
I did not nominate a novel in this category but have read several that made the cut.
Best Novel (208 nominating ballots)
Carson of Venus, Edgar Rice Burroughs (Argosy, February 1938)
Galactic Patrol, E. E. Smith (Astounding Stories, February 1938)
The Legion of Time, Jack Williamson (Astounding Science-Fiction, July 1938)
Out of the Silent Planet, C. S. Lewis (The Bodley Head)
The Sword in the Stone, T. H. White (Collins)







No comments: