Sunday, November 2, 2014

The Time Roads by Beth Bernobich

Alternate History

What Goodreads says:

Éire is one of the most powerful empires in the world. The Anglian Dependencies are a dusty backwater filled with resentful colonial subjects, Europe is a disjointed mess, and many look to Éire for stability and peace. In a series of braided stories, Beth Bernobich has created a tale about the brilliant Éireann scientists who have already bent the laws of nature for Man's benefit. And who now are striving to conquer the nature of time.

The Time Roads is a difficult book to categorize.  I settled on Alternate History as the setting is around the 1900’s and some things are familiar.   Other things are not at all familiar.  Eire is the ruling island in this time line and science has gone in a different direction adding a touch of steampunk.

I am glad I read The Time Roads but I found it to be weak in several areas.  The story follows several characters on a journey that takes many, many years. I found the world building a little lacking and the switch from following one characters to another confusing.  That confusion was also there as the time line progressed.  I don’t want to add a spoiler so just let me say if you get too confused just keep reading it will all come together by the end of the book.

As the blurb says this is a group of braided stories that interact but still leave a lot unsaid.  The discovery of the time roads is part of each.  If you like books with an unusual concept and a different take on history and time travel this is the book for you.  I found I liked it much better after I finished and had time for everything to settle into place. 

I received an ARC of The Time Roads from Netgalley in return for a honest review.


Tor Books published The Time Roads by Beth Bernobich in 2014.

No comments: