Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Short and Sweet Book Reviews #46 - Shooting at Loons by Margaret Maron, Shadow Rider by Christine Feehan, The Widow's Auction by Sabrina Jeffries

Shooting at Loons (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #3)Shooting at Loons by Margaret Maron
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

My library had just received several of the Deborah Knott Mysteries on CD. I had never read any of the books so I picked the one with the earliest copyright. I enjoyed the story. It was a very easy going mystery. There was a lot of background about the location and the people who live there. Nothing moved at a fast pace. There was plenty of time to enjoy the story and the characters while wondering who did what. There were several twist as the story progresses. There were things in the story that dated it but it did fit the time when it was written. It is a good read when you want something a little light with a mystery attached.


Shadow Rider (Shadow, #1)Shadow Rider by Christine Feehan
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Shadow Rider follows the same path as other Christine Feehan books. The main female character is slightly needy. The main male is over the top with looks, sex drive and dominance. Stefano Ferraro also has a hidden talent; the ability to ride the shadows. That is a talent he has know from birth so he is surprised when he meets Francesca Capello and sees that she has that same talent. From there the story follows the pattern in other books. He wants her, she wants him but has questions. She has a problem that he promises to solve. There is a lot of sex, a lot of redundant prose that I skimmed when I read one of Feehan's books. Since I was listening to this on CD it really hit home how much was repeated and repeated. Not a book I will re-read or listen to but since I knew what to expect I enjoyed it for what it was.


The Widow's AuctionThe Widow's Auction by Sabrina Jeffries
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

We have all heard "Don't judge a book by its cover" In The Widow's Auction two people learn not to judge each other by their public face. Isobel Lamberton, the widowed Lady Kingsley and Justin Antony, Lord Warbrooke seem to always be on opposite sides. It takes the night of the widow's auction to bring them together. There they both learn that they have more in common than either suspected. A nice easy read with great characters and good action.

View all my reviews

No comments: