Friday, June 11, 2010

The Archangel Project by C.S. Graham


Mystery/Thriller

If you have been reading my posts you know that I have fallen in love with the Sebastian St. Cyr mysteries by Candice Proctor writing as C. S. Harris. You would also know that I am bemoaning the fact that I will have to wait until March of 2011 for the next book in the series. When I visited Candice Proctor’s web site I found another series she is writing in partnership with her husband Steven Harris. Hoping to make the wait easier for the next St. Cyr book I purchased The Archangel Project, the first book in this new series. The Archangel Project is set in the present is very different form the St. Cyr books. I can’t say that it made my wait for the next St. Cyr book any easier but I did like The Archangel Project and have already purchased The Solomon Effect, the next book in the series.

The Archangel Project reminded me of some of the early action adventure books written by Tom Clancy. There is a completed plot; people trying unravel a dark secret, others willing to kill to keep the secret, and a dramatic conclusion. The heroes are two misfits who meet after Henry Youngblood, a Tulane professor, is murdered when his research project on remote viewing revels something that powerful people want kept secret. Jax Alexander is a CIA maverick that has angered the wrong people and is stuck in what seems to be a dead end department. October “Tobie” Guinness is trying to pick up her life after getting a psychiatric discharge from the military. Her involvement in the remote viewing project puts her in danger and leads to her reluctant partnership with Jax.

The Archangel Project is a well-written book filled with thrill a minute action, good character development, and a well-developed plot. The great descriptions of the area around New Orleans add an authentic feeling to the story. The authors have a list of historical facts that were blended into the story. Adding to the realism is the fact that the government funded remote viewing studies in the past and the authors included a list of declassified material at the beginning of the book.

Harper published The Archangel Project by C.S. Graham in 2008.

I purchased The Archangel Project from Borders.

No comments: