Monday, November 19, 2018

Short and Sweet Book Reviews # 317 - A Bad Place to Die by Easy Jackson, Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine November/December 2018

A Bad Place to Die (A Tennessee Smith Western Book 1)A Bad Place to Die by Easy Jackson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I had a hard time deciding what bookshelf to put this on. It is a western and it does have some romance however it is very different from the usual in western romance. One difference is that I found this in the western section of the book display not in romance. Tennessee Smith may be the sheriff but she is not your usual breed. While she is strong she still spends part of her time crying. She does not wear her badge nor does she wear a gun. She knows she is a pawn in a game she does not understand but she keeps going and doing her best. I liked the book and the story line even as I wondered what it was leading up to. I will be looking for the next book in the series.


Asimov’s Science Fiction Magazine November/December 2018 (Vol. 42 Nos. 11 &12, Whole Numbers 514 & 515)Asimov’s Science Fiction Magazine November/December 2018 by Sheila Williams
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

As usual this is a good mix of stories. I purchased it because Kristine Kathryn Rusch has a story set in the diving universe. It a side story that is not set anywhere near the main story line. It is an interesting look at how cadets were trained for life in the Fleet. There is also a story by Linda Nagata another author I follow. I also enjoyed Pregnancy as a Location in Space-Time. This is not something I read cover to cover immediately so I will read others later. I have found that I enjoy having a issue around. It gives me shorter stories to read when I need a break from full length books.

View all my reviews

No comments: