Friday, June 5, 2009

Reprints

Romance

I am seeing a lot of publishers re-releasing romances. While the books have new covers and an updated look as buyers we need to beware. Times and tastes change and books that were great 15 to 30 years ago don’t always pass the test of time. Here are some things to remember before you spend money on a book that may disappoint.

1. Most covers do not tell you that they are a reprint.
2. Check the copyright to see if this is a new book or an old book re-released.
3. Read a few pages to make sure you have not read the book in the past.
4. Your favorite author may write great stories today, but what they wrote 30 years age might not be go great.
5. Most reprints are priced less than current releases. Look carefully if the book is priced less than you expect.

I am not against re-prints. Today I purchased a re-print by one of my favorite authors. I had read every other book in the series and was happy to find the missing one priced at just $4.00 at Wal-Mart. On the other hand a friend gave me a re-print from a best selling author that was originally published in 1976. It was not even close to the quality of her current works. If I had purchased the book I would have been very angry.

Romance is always popular. According to industry reports the current economic conditions have increased romance sales. Publishers are trying to make more money and reprints are one way to accomplish that goal. Unfortunately not every book deserves a re-birth. Check carefully before you buy to make sure you are getting what you expect.

No comments: