Sunday, August 16, 2009

August Musing

Odd Size Books

I remember when books came in Hardcover and Paperback. Hardcover’s could come in various sizes but paperbacks were all the same size. Then several years ago we started having Trade Paperbacks. I attended a panel where someone explained why Trade Paperbacks became so popular with publishers. It seems that the computer age created the ability to print on demand. You set the text using a computer program and save the text. When you need copies of the book you can use a standard 8 ½ by 11 sheet of paper to print 4 pages. The paper just folds in half and you have the size of a Trade Paperback. You can print on demand and charge more. You do not have to print a large run of books. No storage problems and no downside for the publisher. I have gotten used to that size but now I am finds a new size for paperbacks. They are the same width as a standard paperback but about an inch higher. They are also about $2.00 more. I have to wonder if increasing the price is the reason for this size. If someone knows another reason for this size post it in the comments section. I’m probably not the only one who wonders why???

No comments: