Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Liaden Universe, books by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller

Space Opera

I recommended Fledging, a side story in the Liaden Universe, in a previous post and I felt that I had to recommend the books that make up the main arc in the Liaden Universe. I have put off posting on this series because I don’t think I can do the books justice.

I have a long history with the Liaden books. I picked up Agent of Change and Conflict of Honors, the first two books in the series, right after they came out in 1988. I got the next book, Carpe Diem, in 1989 and watched in vain for book four. The first three books went on my favorite shelf moving with me at least 7 times. I was resigned to the fact that I would never find out what happened when Plan B went into effect. Then in 1998 my son called to tell me that Steve and Sharon had found a new published and Plan B was finally going to be published. I was one of the first in line to buy the book. In 2002 I Dare, the fifth and final book in the arc, was published. All five books have a permanent place on my favorite shelf. The series is one that I love to reread. Each time I find something new.

The books are the story of Clan Korval. Authors Steve Miller and Sharon Lee have created a unique and believable universe populated with several different human branches and some interesting aliens. Clan Korval is located on Liaden where you will find a complex group of clans with an intricate set social rules and values. It is said that on Liaden there are the clans and then there is Korval. The characters portrayed in Clan Korval have surprising talents. They also have powerful enemies who are working to bring to clan down.

The series is filled with deadly enemies, surprising allies, great characters and a riveting story. In this well crafted universe each book adds an extra dimension to the problems and solutions needed for the clan to survive. As each layer is added to the story characters that were minor come forward to play a vital role in the clan’s move to defeat their enemies.

This series is space opera at its finest and a must read for any space opera fan.

The books in the series are:

Agent of Change
Conflict of Honors
Carpe Diem
Plan B
I Dare


If you would like to check out the books there are samples available at www.korval.com.

At the present time the books are only available from Baen as eBooks. Baen will be reissuing the books in paper some time in the near future.

No comments: