Saturday, May 12, 2012

Somebody to Love by Kristan Higgins


Women’s Fiction

I need to start this one out with a disclaimer.  I am not that big a fan of books labeled Chic Lit or Women’s Fiction so bear that in mind as you read my remarks on Somebody to Love.  I did request this book from NetGalley after reading a recommendation on another blog.

Let’s start with what Goodreads has to say:

After her father loses the family fortune in an insider-trading scheme, single mom Parker Welles is faced with some hard decisions. First order of business: go to Gideon's Cove, Maine, to sell the only thing she now owns—a decrepit house in need of some serious flipping. When her father's wingman, James Cahill, asks to go with her, she's not thrilled -- even if he is fairly gorgeous and knows his way around a toolbox.

Having to fend for herself financially for the first time in her life, Parker signs on as a florist's assistant and starts to find out who she really is. Maybe James isn't the glib lawyer she always thought he was. And maybe the house isn't the only thing that needs a little TLC.

So to start there are the two main characters.  I liked James but he was a little to good to be true.  Parker was just too judgmental.   While the combination worked for the story I just never warmed up to either.  Some of the side characters were interesting and helped keep the story moving.

Plot:  This was fairly predictable.  James had secrets that kept him from reaching for the life he wanted.  Parker had serious trust issues.  Those were worked into the plot with the loss of money.  To give the author her due not every issue was resolved and for some things there would never be a HEA.

I really don’t have much more to say.  I am glad I read the book.  Kristan Higgins has written a lot of books.  I can now say that I have read one of them.  I probable will not pick up another of her books but for anyone who is a fan of this type of book she would be a good author to follow.

HQN published Somebody to Love by Kristan Higgins in 2012.

No comments: