Sunday, September 11, 2016

Short and Sweet Audio Book Reviews #43 - Shadow and Flame by Gail Z. Martin, Miss Julia Stirs Up Trouble by Ann B. Ross, Elantris by Brandon Sanderson

Shadow and Flame (Ascendant Kingdoms, #4)Shadow and Flame by Gail Z. Martin
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Finally Blain and friends fight the battles that bring the series to a close. Shadow and Flame is mostly about the battles that have to be fought to keep the kingdom free. I listened to this as an audio book and enjoyed reconnecting with the characters from the previous three books. The narrator did a good job with the story. The male voices were very good. The female were just so so but that is often true when only one person does the story. Start at Ice Forged and read in order. That lets you get to know all the action and all the characters.


Miss Julia Stirs Up Trouble (Miss Julia #14)Miss Julia Stirs Up Trouble by Ann B. Ross
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Miss Julia continues to grow on me. I did not like the first Miss Julia book I listened to but with each additional book my opinion has changed. Miss Julia just cannot let well enough alone. It is such fun listening to her talk about what the people around her do never realizing she is just as bad if not worse about interfering. This time she is going to save Hazel Marie's marriage. Of course she is the only one who thinks it is in danger. Along the way she does indeed stir up a lot of trouble. I listened to the book on CD. The narrator of the book does a great job on the voices adding to the enjoyment I get from the series.

View all my reviews Elantris (Elantris, #1)Elantris by Brandon Sanderson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I had a very hard time classifying this one. I listened to it on CD and found it to be a very busy book. At times it read like a paranormal romance, at other times it was a mystery and then it would change into a fantasy. I understand this was Sanderson's first published novel and it seemed that he wanted to include every trope he could. That is part of what made it such a busy book. I think if I had been reading it I would have never finished. There were just too many moments when everything seemed to be going great only to have everything crash and burn. Having said that I did enjoy here the story unwind and I was not surprised when our two main characters ended up with a HEA. This is a stand alone story so there were no cliff hanger - everything was solved in the end.

View all my reviews

No comments: