Thursday, September 15, 2016

Short and Sweet Book Reviews #44 - Wind River Wrangler by Lindsay McKenna, Traces of Guilt by Dee Henderson, Sea Rose Lane by Irene Hannon

Wind River Wrangler (Wind River Valley, #1)Wind River Wrangler by Lindsay McKenna
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This was a big disappointment for me. I generally like Lindsay McKenna's books and in some ways this lived up to her reputation. I liked the characters and the setting. It was the overall plot that left me shaking my head. Shiloh had been stalked for six months and no one looked at her past to discover the stalker. Come on!!! I knew who was doing it before the first 20 pages. Then there was the fact that Shiloh just hid in the corner when someone was turning her door knob. Nothing in the plot rang true after that. I hope the next book in the series has a much better developed and though out plot as the characters and setting deserve something that rings true.

This is a book I received from Amazon Vine in return for a honest review.


Traces of Guilt (Evie Blackwell Cold Case #1)Traces of Guilt by Dee Henderson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Once again a visited my library on the day new items were put on the shelf. Traces of Guilt was a new audio book and it looked like a interesting mystery. Evie Blackwell is trying to solve two cold cases. It was interesting to see how she looked at things from a new and different angle. I enjoyed listening to the book. The book is filled with interesting characters and the mysteries well developed. This is book one in a new series. I am looking forward to seeing the characters again. This is a Christian Fiction Mystery. I found that religion was dropped in often stopping the flow of the story. It was not enough to keep me from enjoying the book and it would have been a good read if it had been left out.


Sea Rose Lane (Hope Harbor #2)Sea Rose Lane by Irene Hannon
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Another of the new audio books on the shelf on Thursday. I like contemporary romance books that are part of a series so I decided to give this on a try. I was surprised to find that I had another Christian Fiction book. Most of the time they are labeled but someone missed on this one. Hannon did a very good job of working the references to God and Prayer into the fabric of the story. Unlike Traces of Guilt those references did not interrupt the flow of the story. There are some very interesting and different characters in the book. Coming home after loosing a job is a familiar trope but it works really well for the story set in Hope Harbor. My favorite was Charlie. He steels the show even though he is a side character. He is the one that helps guide the story and the characters to their HEA. In fact there is one HEA that is not a romance but comes from a change in the lives of two of the characters. I did like the absence of sex beyond hugs and kisses. It was refreshing not to have to listen to so many body parts.

View all my reviews

No comments: