Friday, December 22, 2017

Short and Sweet Book Reviews # 170 - Vanguard by Jack Campbell, Aydarr by Veronica Scott

Vanguard (The Genesis Fleet, #1)Vanguard by Jack Campbell
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I didn't think I would like this series so it took me awhile to give it a try. Turns out I was wrong, I do like the series. I thought it would be close in time to the Lost Fleet series but it is not. It is set many years before that series and it gives it a fresh feeling. I love the three main characters. Robert Geary, a young former junior fleet officer, Ninja, a computer hacker and Mele Darcy, a onetime enlisted Marine are on a planet that has just recently been colonized. When danger comes the three rise to the occasion. The back story is very well developed, the plot is not new but is very well done and the character development fits the story line. Several other characters are important at first but play a small part in the whole. They seem to be in line to play a more important role in future stories. I listed to this as a audio book and the reader did a great job on timing and voices.

Aydarr (Sectors New Allies #1)Aydarr by Veronica Scott
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I was disappointed when I started Aydarr. I though Oh No another alien abduction story. It is that but it had some interesting twists that kept it from being run of the mill. For one thing the main female character was a Sector solider at one time and she can take care of herself. Of course there is that alien she bonds with. She was abducted from the Sector and that is the tie in to the previous series set in the Sector. The abductors are another tie in as they are the same enemies from the sector series. There are some very interesting characters, a well developed plot and a very predictable romance.

View all my reviews

No comments: