Monday, June 18, 2018

Short and Sweet Book Reviews # 255 - Breakaway by Michelle Diener, Wool by Hugh Howey

BreakawayBreakaway by Michelle Diener
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Talk about twists and turns. Diener does a great job using the world building and back story to introduce the known and the unknown. This all started with the two novellas about the Verdant String giving some background for the story. Now we arrive at Felicitos--the tethered way station built by Sophie's father. It is full of surprises. Sophie and Leo are two interesting main characters. Both have a hint of mystery about them and when someone tries to kill Leo the two are drawn into a intense tension filled adventure. I loved Sophie. She is full of surprises. This is a very good start to the new Verdant String series.


Wool Omnibus (Silo, #1)Wool Omnibus by Hugh Howey
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is both interesting and depressing. I started with the first story and decided I might not what to continue. Then read the second. It was interesting and I continued. Then it started to drag and I was skimming. Then interesting. Then skimming. I did find the concept different and was left at the end of the Omnibus wondering about what was going to happen next. Much was revealed and most of it was a surprise to the people in Silo 18. Wondered how they would react when they found out what was really going on. This was our Science Fiction Book Club book for June and we all had similar reactions.

View all my reviews

No comments: