Monday, April 30, 2012

What Else I Read/Listened To in April, 2012

Romance: 


 Just Down the Road by Jodi Thomas - This is the latest Harmony novel.  I love the town and the characters.  Reading the book was like a visit to catch up with old friends.  Some old friends finally get together but there are still loose ends that can be tired together in new books.  I hope there will be more books to come.

Salt Bride: A Georgian History  by Lucinda Brant - This was a nice story.  The Earl of Salt Hendon and Jane Despard fell in love four years ago but someone did not want them to be together.  Each thought the other had betrayed their love. Now they are forced to marry and must leave to trust and love again.  This was a free book from Amazon.

Ruined by Rumor  by Alyssa Everett - This should be Alyssa's second book but because A Tryst with Trouble (Look for my comments on the book next Sunday) is caught up in Dorchester's closing this is her first published book.   I like the book.  The story was good and the characters interesting.  Because I read A Tryst with Trouble first and loved it I started Ruined by Rumor with very high expectations.  It is a nice story it just is not the book that will break Alyssa out of the pack.  I think the book to do that is A Tryst with Trouble.

Mystery:

Celebrity in Death by J.D. Robb - Another great Eve Dallas and Rourke mystery.  This time the murder happens at a party where Eve is a guest along with the cast of the film featuring a case Eve solved.  We get to visit with most of the previous characters.  Eve does not get hurt in this book but she does find more that she expected once she starts to investigate.   

Science Fiction/ Science Fiction Romance/ Space Opera

Wreck of the Nebula Dream by Veronica Scott - Based loosely on the Titanic disaster this is a fast paced, danger filled story of a new Space Ship Luxury Liner, the Wreck of the Nebula Dream, that is suppose to set a new speed record.  As it turns out, corners have been cut, things go wrong, the ship takes a short cut and hits a asteroid, the main crew leaves and our heroes have to save the day.  Once you get past the asteroid hit the story is nothing like what happened to the Titanic.  It is however a exciting read.  I would have liked to know more about the universe Veronica Scott built for the story.  There is plenty of room to write more in this setting so maybe there will be future stories in this setting.


Paranormal Romance:


Devil's Punch by Ann Aguirre - I love this series but I have to say I don't know what to think about this one.  I found it to be strange, strange, strange.  It left me wondering.  It was not my favorite so I hope the next one does not leave me where this one did.  

Paranormal and /or Science Fiction Audio Book

Firestorm: The Caretaker Trilogy - I enjoyed listening to this book.  Jack ends up on the run for this life after he runs for too many yards in his last high school football game and is featured on TV.  It turns out he is not who he thinks he is, he is the from the future and is the hope for the future.  It was a little preachy but still a good story.  Wish the library had the other tow as audio books.  

Poltergeist by Kat Richardson - This is the second book in the Greywalker series.  I listened to book one several months ago and said I was not sure I would continue with the series.  I'm glad I went ahead and picked this on up.  With all the backstory established in the first book this one moved much faster.   Harper is still learning what she can do with her ability to walk in the grey.  When a group create a ghost that turns evil she has her hands full. A good next story to continue the series.  I plan to listen to book three. 

What else did you read and not review in April?  Leave a comment and a link to your post if you would like to share.



 

No comments: