Friday, August 26, 2011

The Other Countess by Eve Edwards


The Lacey Chronicles #1: The Other CountessYoung Adult Historical Romance

The Other Countess is another ARC I received from Amazon Vine.  Young adult books are not what I usually read.  However, I saw The Other Countess on the Vine list and it caught my eye.  I wondered how young adult historical romance differed from adult historical romance.   Here is what I found.

One big difference was the age of the two main characters. Ellie – Lady Eleanor Rodriguez, Countess of San Jaime is 16 and William Lacey, Earl of Dorset is 18, much younger than characters in adult historical romances today.   The amount of explicit sex is another difference.   While sex is not ignored in The Other Countess the amount is more like adult romance books 30 years ago.  There is a hint and then the characters move out of sight.  Age the characters and add some explicit sex and The Other Countess could be an adult historical romance.

I liked the story.  The historical content was good.  Eve Edwards used court life and the religious problems of the time to move the plot forward.  Both the fictional and historical characters were well drawn.  All in all I think both young adults and adults will enjoy the story. 

The Other Countess is the first book in the Lacey Chronicles. The second book,  The Queen’s Lady, will be released in 2012.

No comments: