Monday, September 3, 2012

Musing Monday's September 3, 2012



Have you ever considered writing a book before? What genre would you write?
This week’s musing –courtesy of http://bookshelf.shotgunopera.net– asks…I wonder how many of us will answer yes?  
I have tried my hand at writing but have failed at one of the primary rules (This is one I heard Kevin Anderson and his wife state.  You have to finish the book to have a chance at publication.  It seems she kept starting but not finishing her books.)  I have several that I have started but never finished.  
Some are romances that I started writing in my 20's.  Some are children's books I started when my sons were young.  The most recent are books I started after I retired.  They are Science Fiction and Science Fiction Romances that I never finished.  In between my 20's and retirement I taught in college and wrote for publish or perish.  I don't miss that kind of writing.  Today when I get the urge to write I just go the Helium, find a title I like or submit one, and write something short that I will finish. 
The reason I never finished.  I will be writing and then a book or series of books will come up that I want to read and I would rather read than write.  Then I don't write for quite awhile and it is hard to start again.
Another reason I never have finished.  I love to travel and writing and traveling just did not go together.  In fact right now I am on a trip and am writing this in my hotel room in Portland, OR.  I am staying at the Aloft at the Portland Airport.  I stopped here so I could visit Powell's Book Store and later today I will be off to see what book treasures I have missed and need to add to my already hugh library.  Check my travel blog Jo Jones Traveling Lady tomorrow for my post of where and what I went to see today.
In the end I have decided that there are readers and writers and I am a reader.  There is a place for both in this world.



6 comments:

Juli Rahel said...

I agree, sometimes I find it really hard to travel and write, although sometimes it does strangely work out. I usually write short stories because I am sure I can finish them! Thanks for sharing :)
http://universeinwords.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-and.html
Juli @ Universe in Words

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I started a lot of things over the years, but didn't finish anything until after I retired...and after getting my computer!

Here's MY MUSING MONDAYS POST

And without readers, where would the writers be?

Unknown said...

Sticking with it is definitely hard. I make myself sit down to write every day, and it really helps.

http://carabosseslibrary.blogspot.com/2012/09/musing-mondays.html

Kwizgiver said...

I don't think I'm disciplined enough to write a novel. Maybe a short story.

caite said...

I don't know..I think I will stick with reading and not writing...

emaginette said...

I was great at starting stories for years. Once I forced myself to finish one, it got easier. :-)