Saturday, September 29, 2012

Travel With Audio Books


I just got home from a month long trip where I drove over 4000 miles listening to audio books the entire way.  Here is the list of books that got me through the trip:
I love the Commissario Guido Brunetti Mysteries written by Donna Leon.  They are entertaining.  They do not have that much blood and guts.  The mystery is almost a background for how the characters interact with each other.  And in most that I have listened to the victim is someone I really like leaving me sad about their death.  On this trip I listened to Beastly Things, About Face, and Drawing Conclusions.  This is one series I have not followed in the order written but it does not seem to matter.
Pure by Julianna Baggott is Science Fiction.  It had some very strange things in it.  Most of the strangeness was caused by a group who wanted to re-boot humanity.  Their actions had some very bad results for most people while keeping them safe in The Dome.  The ending for Pure left me wishing that book two had already been written and released.  The book has been optioned for a movie.
Myke Cole’s Shadow Ops Control Point is full of violence and killing.  The hero never seemed to learn from his actions.  There was not good conclusion to the story.  This is the start of a series but I can skip any further books. 
If There Be Dragons by Kay Hooper is listed as a paranormal romance.  It was a pleasant listen but had very little of the paranormal in it. It did have romance.   It was also the shortest, only 5 hours long.  It is also part of a series but works well as a stand-alone.
The last and longest book is Galileo’s Dream by Kim Stanley Robinson. This is also Science Fiction however most of the book is a history of Galileo’s life with a few scenes where Galileo visits the future.  Since I have read several books about Galileo it was like a repeat history lesson.  If I had been reading instead of listening I would not have finished the book.
These are the books that filled the hours it took to drive over 4000 miles.


No comments: