Saturday, March 31, 2012

What Else I Read in March, 2012

Romance:

A Rogue by Any Other Name by Sarah MacLean,  I saw this on two other blogs and decided it was worth a try since Avon had the ebook priced at 4.99, 3.00 less than the paperback.  I am glad I did.  It was a very well written story that held my attention from the start.  This is the first book I have read by Sarah MacLean but she has written three other historical romances.  One reviewer said that her writing just kept getting better.   I loved the teaser for the next book and will be looking for it when it comes out.

The Temporary Wife/A Promise of Spring by Mary Balogh, The two books are in one volume and a reissue of two of Mary's earlier books.  My favorite of the two is The Temporary Wife.  I have noticed something reading the reissues.  I see elements of later stories in the earlier books.  It is a little like a cut and paste.   Take one elements here and another there put in a little change and you have a new story. 

A Beginners Guide to Rakes by Suzanne Enoch - Suzanne Enoch is one of my favorite authors so I don't know why this book sat on my shelf unread for so long. Diane Benchley was widowed and left penniless and alone in Vienna where she met and fell in almost love with Oliver Warren, the Marquis of Haybury. Only he left her without a word. Now she is back in London and opening a Gaming Club in her home and needs help. That is where Oliver comes in. This is a fun story. There is a very incompetent villain. A great setting. And as in any romance a fun journey to an HEA. This is also the first in The Scandalous Brides series so I have new books to look forward too. If you like a light historical romance this one is for you. 

The Surrender of Miss Fairbourne by Madeline Hunter - I like books by Madeline Hunter and an always glad to see a new one.  While this would not be on my favorites list it was a good story.  There are secrets, lies, evasions, and finally everything comes out in the open.  I just did not identify with the two main characters.  Even so all in all a OK read. 

Paranormal Romance:

Seal in Wolf's Clothing by Terry Spear - I met these  characters in a previous book and it was good to visit with them again.  Once again another werewolf is after the Seals. This one features Finn  and Meara.  Hunter, Meara's twin, if off on his honeymoon and Finn takes on the job of protecting Meara.  Friction, danger, betrayal and romance follow.  The title hooked me and a good story kept me reading.   

Firelight by Kristen Callihan - I have mixed feeling about this book.  The hero wears a mask and the reason is both interesting and very different.  However there were times I felt lost in the world that Callihan created.  I did like the characters.  Miranda Ellis is a very strong woman with a secret.  Lord Benjamin Archer is drawn to her in spite of secrets of his own.  Once he gives into desire and marries her he is driven to protect her from the danger being with him puts her in.  There is a novella and a second book already published in the series.

Mystery:

Death Comes to Pemberley by P. D. James - This is the first time I have read P.D. James book so I don't know if this one is representative of her writing.  I was very disappointed in the book.  The mystery was OK but the characters were wooden.  I could never connect with any of them.  That may be because she was using someone else's characters.  I kept reading and hoping it got better but for me it never did. 

These are books I read but did not review.  What else did you read this month?  If you posted a list leave a comment and a link to your post so I can visit and see what else you read. 

No comments: