Friday, February 24, 2017

Book Beginnings and The Friday 56 - February 24, 2017

I'm linking up with Rose City Reader for Book Beginnings and Freda's Voice for Page 56. Check out the links above for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Pick the closest book on your book stack and join the fun.

The Beginning:

"A grandfather and his granddaughter walked under the leaf-bare trees of late autumn:
"Tell me again about Grandma Greta, Grandpa?'

Page 56:

COL. SMITH: Shut up. It was decided by this team that in order to expedite the voluntary recruitment of the candidate we should subject Rita Douglas to a motivational scenario. Frightening but basically harmless."

From Empire Games by Charles Stross, A New Tale of the Merchant Princes Multiverse. This is a universe Stross left years ago. I followed the series through all six of the books. It was a surprise to see that he has set a new book there. It is listed as book on in the Empire Games series. When I saw this at the library I could not pass it up.

6 comments:

Kathy Martin said...

I've never read this author. I like the sound of the excerpts you chose. I'll have to add him to my list. I have a thriller this week - Signature Wounds by Kirk Russell. Happy reading!

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Interesting...not my usual read, but the excerpts are tempting me. Thanks for sharing. Here's mine: “HEARTBREAK HOTEL”

fredamans said...

You have definitely piqued my curiosity. :-) Happy weekend!

Terra said...

"Motivational scenario" sounds menacing, like bureaucratic double speak, and I would read this one. The book I selected for my post today is "Furiously Happy".

Breana M. said...

This sounds like a great book. Enjoy!

Unknown said...

A new author for me. I love it when an author revisits a series they've not written about in some time. A pleasant surprise.

My Friday 56 from Relentless