Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Downbelow Station by C. J. Cherryh

Science Fiction

Downbelow Station was published in 1981. I recommended this book for the Science Fiction Book Club. The book is the anchor for C. J. Cherryh’s science fiction universe. I remember reading the book in the 1980’s and not being able to put it down. I think we all know that we change with time. That includes reading tastes. I found the book to drag this time and I had to force myself to continue reading instead of picking up a book I had not read. Those of us in the club that are fans of Cherryh agreed that to understand the universe Cherryh created this was a must read. Those who were not Cherryh fans did not care for the book. Although there was a lot of action in the book we all felt that the book was passive when compared to today’s science fiction. Looking back I realized why I loved the book so. This book was the first time I had seen a female starship captain. I was a commercial pilot flying charter and corporate when I read the book. Female pilots were still rare and I loved having a female in charge of a starship. If you love C. J. Cherryh’s books and have not read Downbelow Station, pick it up and read it. It sets the stage for her other science fiction books.

No comments: