Saturday, October 10, 2009

Promise of the Flame by Sylvia Engdahl


Science Fiction

Promise of the Flame is the continuation of the story began in Stewards of the Flame. You can follow this link to see my post on Stewards of the Flame, the first book in the series.

I started reading Promise of the Flame as soon as it arrived and I was hooked from the first page. I picked the book up every chance I got and finally the second day finished it by staying up late. Sylvia Engdahl knows how to pace a novel and get her message across while telling an engaging and suspenseful story. Since she does not ever let the message overwhelm the story you can relax and enjoy a well-told tale of struggle and victory over huge odds. After you get through enjoying the story you can think about the message. (Since there are several I will let you find them for yourself.)

I think this is a series everyone should read. It is a though provoking story that uses a future setting to speak about some of the problems we have today. It would be a great book club book sure to bring about a spirited discussion. For a reading group discussion guide click here.

Promise of the Flame can be read as a stand-alone but I recommend reading Stewards of the Flame first.

Ad Stellae Books published Promise of the Flame by Sylvia Engdahl in 2009.

Both Promise of the Flame and Stewards of the Flame are available from Amazon.

No comments: