Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Short and Sweet Book Reviews #50 -Downfall by J.A. Jance, Unwrapping the Rancher's Secret by Lauri Robinson, Landon by Delores Fossen

Downfall (Joanna Brady, #17)Downfall by J.A. Jance
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Downfall starts where the novella Random Acts ends; with Joanna pulling up to the Higgins Funeral Chapel to plan her mother and step-father's funeral. If that is not enough on her plate she is called to a double homicide. Two unrelated women are found dead at the bottom of a local mountain. From there the story gets more and more complicated. Jance does a great job of letting information out a little at a time building the picture and the tension as the book progresses. Each nugget of information leads to a new and different picture of what happened. Look for surprises and a very suspenseful climax. I love the characters in the books. The glimpses into Joanna and Butch's marriage are one of my a favorite parts in the series. Oh! Did I mention that Joanna is pregnant and up for re-election. I will have to wait for the baby to be born and the election to be over to see if Joanna wins or losses. I just do not see her as a stay-at-home mom.


Unwrapping the Rancher's SecretUnwrapping the Rancher's Secret by Lauri Robinson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Lauri Robinson always writes a good story and Unwrapping the Rancher's Secret is no exception. Sarah and Crofton are both interesting characters who have to deal with each other in a very trying time. The death of Sarah's mother and step-father bring Crofton and Sarah together. Both are in danger and the story does a great job of building the danger. I was a little surprised to find out who was the bad guy. It was fun to try to guess even though I was wrong. The one thing I did not like about the book: the title. For me it did not fit the story.


Landon (The Lawmen of Silver Creek Ranch #9)Landon by Delores Fossen
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I have read several of Delores Fossen's books and when I see one on Netgalley I always request it. Landon is part of the Lawmen of Silver Creek Ranch series but it is the first one of this series that I have read. It follows a familiar theme. A Landon is one of the Rylands and he is back to solve a murder. His prime suspect is Tessa Sinclair his one time lover. There are several suspects and as the story progresses Tessa is cleared but danger is stalking her. Look for the many red herrings and of course a HEA for Landon and Tessa. Like Fossen's other books this is a interesting and fun read that keep you guessing who done it. It does stand alone but as I started to read I did feel like I was dropped into the story missing some of the pieces

View all my reviews

No comments: