Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Short and Sweet Book Reviews #54 - Free Space by Sean Danker, Shadow by Jennifer L. Armentrout, Unmasking Miss Appleby by Emily Larkin

Free Space (Evagardian #2)Free Space by Sean Danker
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I wish I knew where the author is going with this series. Free Space does not seem to go anywhere and just ends. The entire book features four characters two male and two female who are kidnapped. The females are sold to one party and the males to another. The females escape and go to rescue the males. The entire plot of the book is the chase. The chase does end but then after one of the party is taken away the book just ends. I don't mind a cliff-hanger if there is some resolution in the plot. I just did not see it here. I liked Admiral, the first book, and will look for the next one in the series but if it has as little meat to the plot as this one I will give up on the series.


Shadows (Lux, #0.5)Shadows by Jennifer L. Armentrout
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Shadows is a very nice novella with two really great characters. While I enjoyed the story this is the first one I have read in this series. It does stand-alone but I felt that I was missing some of the background and world building because it was done in the first books of the series. I did think it was a good introduction. I am interested in starting the series after reading Shadows. The writing is very good, the characters interesting and the plot rather standard but fun.


Unmasking Miss Appleby (Baleful Godmother, #1)Unmasking Miss Appleby by Emily Larkin
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I found Unmasking Miss Appleby fun and very unique. This is book one in the Baleful Godmother series and she is that. She has to give Charlotte Appleby a unique gift but it does not mean she has to like it. On the other hand Charlotte knows what will help her the most and goes for it. There are some often used tropes in the book. It starts with Charlotte living with her Uncle and his family who treat her worse than they treat their servants. It is great fun when Charlotte uses her gift to escape and start a new life. It is more fun to see everything that happens to Charlotte as a result. Romance, danger and tension are all a part of what is a fun romp. Great characters and a unique idea make this a must read. I will be looking to see what will happen to the next characters after a visit from the Baleful GoodMother.

View all my reviews

No comments: