Sunday, November 27, 2016

Short and Sweet Book Reviews #58 - Zero-G by William Shatner and Jeff Rovin, Kill Without Shame by Alexandra Ivy, A Darkness Absolute by Kelley Armstrong

Zero-G (Zero-G #1)Zero-G by William Shatner
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This is pure space opera with a hero who goes above and beyond. He is 80 and I had to wonder if the author's age (William Shatner) had anything to do with the age of the main character. This starts rather slowly, has some action that is really not part of the story line. It seems to be there at the first of the book to just show that even at 80 the hero can perform great feats of danger and daring. In fact he does that many times in the story. One problem is solved and anther is mentioned at the end. In fact it seems that the space station is just full of spies ready to provide a plot. The world building is good. The characters are rather one-dimensional but fit the story line. I found it to be entertaining.


Kill Without Shame (ARES Security, #2)Kill Without Shame by Alexandra Ivy
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Book two in the Ares Security series is predictable but fun. This time it is Lucas St. Clair who gets a call from the past. Someone is trying to kill Mia Ramon, the girl he walked away from 15 years ago. There are the usual twists and turns as well as a mystery to be solved. I admit I knew why the land Mia inherited from her Father was so important. Even guessing it was fun to see that I was right. Both Lucas and Mia are great characters. Mia is very strong, Lucas is very protective and sparks flew between the two for the entire book. Trust is a very important issue in the story line and I liked how it took time for it to be re-devolpe. A nice second addition in the story of five brothers by choice instead of by blood.  Work just fine as a stand-alone.

A Darkness Absolute (Casey Duncan, #2)A Darkness Absolute by Kelley Armstrong
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

When I agreed to review A Darkness Absolute I knew it was book two in the series and I had not read book one. After starting the book I realized that I was missing some of the references and missing how they tied into this story. I did not have any trouble following the main plot but still knew I would have enjoyed it more if I had read book one. That said this was still an interesting book with a very interesting setting. Everyone in the book is running from something in their past and that makes everyone a suspect. It also makes for some really great characters. Casey Duncan is trying to sort everything out and who is doing what. I was so caught up in the world building and back-story that I often missed some of the clues. I really liked the setting. The plot was complex. I had no idea who the bad guy was until Casey did. A very interesting series with many, many possibilities for future plots. I am going to go back and read book one and I suggest that you start there or do the same. While this can stand-alone there is just a lot of back-story and world building that despite hints is missing.

View all my reviews

No comments: