Sunday, December 18, 2016

Short and Sweet Book Reviews #64 - Winter's Child by Margaret Maron, The Cowboys's Christmas Bride by Patricia Johns, Duke of Pleasure by Elizabeth Hoyt

Winter's Child (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #12)Winter's Child by Margaret Maron
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

The Deborah Knott Mysteries are a new series that I just recently discovered. I have not been able to read them in order but find that I don't mind skipping around. In Winter's Child Deborah has just married Sheriff Deputy Dwight Bryan. I missed the courtship in the earlier books but had no trouble following the story. I have found each book can stand-alone. The mystery here starts when Cal calls Dwight wanting him show up at his school the next day. It turns out Cal's mother did not come home the night before and then someone takes Cal. There are a lot of red herrings along the way. Both Deborah and Dwight start to look for both Cal and his mother. There is the mystery with Cal and a murder at home that has to be solved. Each keeps the plot moving and the story fun to read or in my case listen too.


The Cowboy's Christmas BrideThe Cowboy's Christmas Bride by Patricia Johns
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is the first book I have read by Patricia Johns and I enjoyed it. The characters all interesting and the story line a great set up for two people to change their opinion of the other. Andy Granger did a lot of hiding what he was really like growing up in Hope, Montana. Dakota Mason never liked him but on a cattle drive she begins to realize there more to Andy than she thought. The big problem is something that Andy did in the past that had unexpected consequences. Can the past be overcome and a HEA arrive for the two. This is Harlequin so that is a forgone conclusion. A nice easy read for just before Christmas.


Duke of Pleasure (Maiden Lane, #11)Duke of Pleasure by Elizabeth Hoyt
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I have not missed one book in the Maiden Lane series. while I did not warm to or really like the characters in Duke of Sin, the previous book in the series, I loved the characters in Duke of Pleasure. When I read Hugh Fitzroy, the Duke of Kyle's name I knew he was a bastard but he is an acknowledged one. Alf, on the other hand is just a St. Giles orphan. What makes her special? She is the Ghost of St Giles at night and passes as a young boy in the day time. Her path crosses Hugh's when she saves him form an attack one night. Turns out someone is trying to kill Hugh and he turns to Alf for help. The story turns really interesting when he discovers that Alf is a woman. There is danger, mystery and romance all mixed up in The Duke of Pleasure. In addition there is a hook for the next book in the series. As long as Hoyt keeps writing Maiden Lane story I will keep reading.

View all my reviews

No comments: