Sunday, July 3, 2011

City of Ruins by Kristine Kathryn Rusch


City of RuinsScience Fiction

Once I started reading I could not put City of Ruins down. Wonderful, amazing, marvelous, fabulous, riveting, thrilling, and exciting, are just a few of the adjectives that come to mind when I think about the Science Fiction stories Kristine Kathryn Rusch writes and I could use every one to describe City of Ruins.

I first meet Boss in Diving Into the Wreck.  (See my post on 11/10/09)  Boss has expanded her operation and is on the planet Vaycehn.  Boss hates planets but there is something happening here that points to stealth technology and she wants to find the source.  The story starts out as a straightforward exploration but then there is an unexpected twist.   Looking for stealth technology is always dangerous but what they find must be handled correctly or there will be untold damage.

In the Acknowledgements at the beginning of City of Ruins Rusch says:

Thanks on this one go to the reader of Asimov’s Science Fiction magazine who have consistently supported this series.” 

I recommend that you read Becalmed, a prequel to City of Ruins, which was published in Asimov’s March 2011 issue.  I do not subscribe to Asimov’s or Analog but each month I look at the new issues at Fictionwise to see what authors have published stories.  If there is one of my favorite authors I purchase that issue.    Becalmed by Rusch was the reason I purchased the March issue.  

You can read City of Ruin as a standalone but like any series reading the others stories adds to the enjoyment. 

I think there is a lot more to tell about Boss and her crew and I am hoping for future stories set in this Universe.

PYR published City of Ruins by Kristine Kathryn Rusch in 2011.

I purchased City of Ruins.


Look for an interview with Kristine Kathryn Rusch on July 18th.

No comments: