Tuesday, October 21, 2008

EBookwise Reader

My first post on this blog was a book available only as a ebook. I read it on the EBookwise 1150 ebook reading devise. This is a hand held reader sold at ebookwise.com. It is about the size of a paperback book, is under a pound and has a backlit screen. It fits easily in one hand and the button to turn the page is conviently located on the left side of the screen. Mine has the 64 megabyte card and will hold about 100 books. Any book offered at Ebookwise will load on the reader. Multiformat books at Fictionwise.com will also load in the reader. In addition any book in plain text (.txt), rich text format (.rtf), Microsoft Word documents (.doc), HTML (.htm or .html), and Rocket eBook Editions (.rb) will also load in the reader. Baen offers all of their ebooks in .rb. The downside is the number of books that are in formats that are not compatable with the reader, the upside is how many books are compatable with the reader. I load it up when I travel and don't have to worry about carrying paperback and hard cover books. When fully charged the battery lasts 9 to 10 hours or you can read with it plugged in to house power. The price is much lower than many ebook readers. The unit with the 64 megabyte card is $139.00. I have gotten my money's worth in the year I have owned mine. There are full directions for uploading books and I found the directions very easy to follow

No comments: