Sunday, December 28, 2008

Favorite Cookie from a Cookbook

I just got home from Christmas with my Mother (she was 89 on her birthday on December 24th) and my two sons who live in the same city. Like all families we have some traditions and one came from different sources. Each of my sons has a favorite cookie and I make a batch to give each at Christmas. The recipe for Oatmeal Crispies came from a cookbook, the recipe for Snickerdoodles came from a cookies that my oldest son made in nursery school and the third is the recipe on the back of the chocolate chip bag (this favorite cookie is my son who lives in Denver and I will see him next weekend). My sons found the Oatmeal Crispies recipe in a cookbook. All three sons along with my husband used to sit in the kitchen looking through cookbooks and would read me recipes while I cooked. This year the Oatmeal Crispies were shared with son #3’s friends and generated several requests for the recipe. I decided to post the recipe on my book blog. After all a cookbook is a book so it fits.

Oatmeal Crispies

1 cup of vegetable oil
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 ½ cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon soda
6 cups Quaker Old Fashioned Oats
1 package butterscotch chips
½ cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Mix shortening and sugars, beat in eggs and vanilla, and add butterscotch chips. Mix flour, salt and soda and stir into mixture. Add oats and nuts. Drop by small spoonfuls onto greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 about 10 minutes or until lightly brown.

For any of you who are not cookies bakers following the recipe is important, but the cookie sheet you use is also important. Use a clean shiny cookie sheet. That will insure that all the cookies bake evenly and turn out looking great.

Recipe is from an unknown cookbook. I did make some small changes. Make up a batch and enjoy

No comments: