Sunday, February 22, 2009

Angel-Seeker by Sharon Shinn


Science Fiction/Fantasy Romance is in my Mixed Book Bag today.

I added Sharon Shinn to my list of authors to read after hearing her on panels at ARCON in 2007 and WORLDCON in 2008. If I had to use one word to convey my impression of Sharon it would be delightful. I hoped her books would match my impression of her personality.

I picked up Angel-Seeker on a recent trip to the library. It is the second novel in the Samaria series and the first Sharon Shinn book I have read. I was not disappointed. There is romance and adventure, well-developed characters, good world-building, and an engaging plot. There is a strong fantasy element with just the hint of Science Fiction. The people of Samaria know they arrived from somewhere else 500 years ago. There are humans, angels and Jovah. The angels are humans with wings who can sing to Jovah (fantasy) and bring down the things from the sky that humans and angels need (science fiction).

Angel-Seeker tells the story of two different women Elizabeth and Rebekah and the men they find to love. Their journeys are separate and difficult but in the end their paths intertwine.

While this is part of a series it reads well as a standalone. If you are looking for a new author pick up a Sharon Shinn book. I wasn’t disappointed and I don’t think you will be either. Angel-Seeker was published by ACE in 2004.

No comments: