Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Song of Scarabaeus by Sara Creasy


Science Fiction/Space Opera

Song of Scarabaeus is a very interesting book.  I had seen it recommended as a Science Fiction Romance but I found it more Science Fiction/Space Opera.  Song of Scarabaeus is full of very well drawn characters, a lot of imaginative interesting science, very good world building, and a plot filled with dangerous twists and turns. 

Edie is one of the best at what she does.  She works for the Crib empire and uses advanced biocyph seed technology to terraform alien worlds for human use; a technology that the Crib uses to bleed the Fringe populations.   She is kidnapped by mercenaries who want to sell her talent to the Fringe worlds and to protect her they tie her to Finn, a former freedom fighter.  To insure that Finn does his job to the best of his ability the tie that is implanted means that if Edie dies so does Finn and if he gets to far from Edie the result will be the same, he will die.  All of this happens in the first few pages of the book and while it sounds like a set up for romance what follows is a lot of action and adventure.  While Song of Scarabaeus ends with some problems resolved there is still a lot of story left untold.  A second book Children of Scarabaeus is due out March of 2011.

I missed Song of Scarabaeus by Sara Creasy when it was released in May of 2010.   It was even on my January list of books to read in 2010 and when I looked back on the list this January it was one of two books on the list I had missed.   I am sorry I missed it when it first came out but glad I found it when I looked back.  Sara Creasy has written a very good story and I am looking forward to her next book Children of Scarabaeus set in this same universe.

EOS published Song of Scarabaeus by Sara Creasy in 2010.

I purchased Song of Scarabaeus from Borders.

No comments: