Monday, September 9, 2013

Musing Monday, September 9, 2013

Musing Mondays (http://shouldbereading.wordpress.com/) asks you to muse about one of the following each week…
MusingMondays5• Describe one of your reading habits. • 
Tell us what book(s) you recently bought for yourself or someone else, and why you chose that/those book(s).
• What book are you currently desperate to get your hands on? Tell us about it! 
 • Tell us what you’re reading right now — what you think of it, so far; why you chose it; what you are (or, aren’t) enjoying it.
 •Do you have a bookish rant? Something about books or reading (or the industry) that gets your ire up? Share it with us!
 • Instead of the above questions, maybe you just want to ramble on about something else pertaining to books — let’s hear it, then!

I have been listening to CD's of the Sharon McCone Mysteries by Marcia Muller.  The first one was There's Something in a Sunday written in 1989 and number 8 in the series.  I really noticed the things that dated the story.  28 years made a big difference - for one thing no cell phones.  McCone had to keep looking for pay phones.  I jumped forward to Burn Out #26.  This one was written in 2008 and it was written just five years ago and was not dated.  Now I am listening to Coming Back #28.  This one is full of statements about the policies of both the current administration and the previous one.  I got used to that when I read the Commissario Guido Brunetti novels with the statements about Italian politics but not in novels set in the US.  It is a good place for a author to make any statement that they want and Marcia Muller is doing just that.

5 comments:

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I am eagerly awaiting another book from Sue Grafton's series...and her books are all set in the 1980s. Makes a difference in how the detectives work...no Internet; no cell phones; etc.

Here's MY MUSING MONDAYS POST

Anonymous said...

I think the detective stories set before mobile phones and internet generally have more creative plots but it certainly makes me realise how quickly technology has progressed. Sounds like an interesting series - thank you

Anonymous said...

I think the detective stories set before mobile phones and internet generally have more creative plots but it certainly makes me realise how quickly technology has progressed. Sounds like an interesting series - thank you

Unknown said...

I love mysteries, especially dated ones because they seem more authentic and more focused on the mystery. Thanks for stopping by my blog and I am now following via GFC.
~April @ Once Upon a Coffin

Toni D. said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

I don't read much in terms of crime novels, but I used to work at a bookstore, so I know or have come across a fair few authors. To be unfamiliar with one that sounds like a prolific writer somehow makes me feel like I've failed at something. :P