Friday, April 21, 2017

Book Beginnings and The Friday 56 - April 21, 2017

I'm linking up with Rose City Reader for Book Beginnings and Freda's Voice for Page 56. Check out the links above for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Pick the closest book on your book stack and join the fun.

The Beginning:

Prologue "The male mockingbird teeters on the edge of a whitewashed brick wall and flexes his wings in a motion designed to flush unwary insects from the ground below."

Chapter One: "My swearing-in ceremony was held on a hot and humid Monday afternoon in Colleton County's oldest courtroom, a big cavernous space paneled in dark oak and weighty with the stone-footed majesty of nineteenth century law."

Page 56: 

"Number sixteen on the add-on calendar, Your Honor. Lydia Marie Duncan, three counts of issuing worthless checks."

From Southern Discomfort by Margaret Maron.  

This is the second book in the Deborah Knott Mystery series copyrighted 1993. I started this series with book three and have skipped around. I am down to two more titles in the middle of the 15 book series and Southern Discomfort the second in the series. If you like interesting mysteries with a lot of background and character development give this series a try.

8 comments:

Catherine @ Book Club Librarian said...

I have books one and two in the series, and some day I will give them a try. Enjoy the read!

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I like the sound of this one. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

@CatsandCoffee said...

I love the title. Here is the link to my Friday 56: https://coffeeandcatsblog.wordpress.com/2017/04/21/friday-56/

Kwizgiver said...

I'm going to give the Southern Discomfort series a try! Thanks.

Yvonne said...

This sounds interesting.

Nadene @Ttly Addicted 2 Reading said...

I love the quote for your Friday 56. Here is my post
http://totallyaddictedtoreading.blogspot.com/2017/04/friday-memes-book-beginnings-and-friday_21.html

fredamans said...

Not sure it's for me but I hope you love it! Happy weekend!

Nicki J. Markus / Asta Idonea said...

Glad you're enjoying the series.