Friday, January 10, 2014

Book Beginnings, January 10, 2014

Book Beginnings on Friday is a meme hosted by Gilion at Rose City Reader. Anyone can participate; just share the opening sentence of your current read, making sure that you include the title and author so others know what you're reading.


I love Sharon Shinn's books.  They are what I call gentle reads.  She takes the time to build the world, the characters and the plot.  They are romances but unlike so many today when the time comes for sex the character go into the room and close the door.  What goes on behind that door is just hinted at later dialog.  My book beginning today is from Royal Airs (An Elemental Blessings Novel).  This is book two in the series so I recommend you read Troubled Waters, book one, first.

"Rafe shuffled the deck for the third time, and handed it to the woman on his right so she could cut the cards.  It was clear the other three player distrusted him, and even the card cutting didn't reassure them he wasn't cheating."

7 comments:

Catherine @ Book Club Librarian said...

I haven't heard of this author before, but I think I'll give her a try.

My Friday post: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2014/01/friday-focus-friday-56-book-beginnings.html

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I have never read this author, but I love the sound of it. Thanks for sharing...and here's MY FRIDAY POST


Congrats on your Goodreads Challenge!

Anonymous said...

lol, intriguing opening! I wonder why they distrust Rafe so much ;)

Happy weekend! My Friday Book Memes

gautami tripathy said...

Intriguing...

Here is my snapshot post.

gautami tripathy said...

Oops!! I left the wrong link.

Here is my correct post!

Elizabeth said...

Beautiful cover...nice opening lines.

THANKS for sharing.

Elizabeth
Silver's Reviews
My Book Beginnings

Yvonne @ Fiction Books Reviews said...

Hi Jo,

Whilst I am not really a huge fan of fantasy and science fiction and only ever read them as the result of a direct author review request, I can still appreciate good opening lines which would make me want to know more about the story and your lines from 'Royal Airs' are most interesting.

I also like the series title, which has obviously been given some considerable thought, as has the cover art, which is quite alluring.

I hope that you enjoy this book and the series as a whole.

Yvonne