Wednesday, January 15, 2014

When the Rogue Returns (The Duke’s Men #2) by Sabrina Jeffries

Historical Romance

What Goodreads says:

"The second sparkling book in the New York Times bestselling Duke’s Men historical romance series, featuring the Duke’s cousin and a skilled female jeweler who must unravel a mystery ten years in the making.

It had been a decade since Victor Cale, first cousin to the Duke of Lyons, had seen his wife. After some royal jewelry went missing from the jeweler’s shop where they worked, Isabel Mertens disappeared. When Victor gets word of a woman who fits his wife’s description, he sets out to confront her. But he discovers that nothing is as it seems—and revenge is never as sweet as true love."

I have been waiting for the next book in The Duke’s Men and wondering who will be featured.  It makes sense for it to be Victor Cale.  Victor is the newly discovered first cousin of the Duke of Lyons and at the end of the first book he was showing signs of restlessness.  He was used to action so in When the Rogue Returns he gets more than he bargained for.

I liked the story line.  Both Victor and Isabel, his long lost wife, think they were abandoned after expensive jewelry was stolen.  Victor thinks Isabel was the guilty party and Isabel thinks that Victor was the thief.  Of course both are innocent.

Victor and Isabel’s story is full of surprises.  What is nice is that we the readers are in on most of them and we get to watch the characters stumble around in ignorance.  The ones we are not in on add to the suspense before a very satisfactory ending.  All in all When the Rogue Returns is a very interesting addition to The Duke’s Men series.

Pocket Book published When theRogue Returns by Sabrina Jeffries in 2014.


I received an ARC of When the Rogue Returns from Edelweiss.

2 comments:

Kimberly @ Caffeinated Reviewer said...

I agree our perspective made it interesting and once again I am left anxious for the next book...LOL

Alyssa said...

I didn't absolutely LOVE this one - actually, I found it a bit disappointing. I really enjoyed the previous book in this series, but I felt a bit let down by this one. It seemed a bit boring and dragged out to me. The ending was really great though! I'm glad I stuck it out and read through to the end :)

Fantastic review!

Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!