Friday, July 12, 2013

Book Beginnings on Friday, July 12, 2013.

Book Beginnings on Friday is a meme hosted by Gilion at Rose City Reader. Anyone can participate; just share the opening sentence of your current read, making sure that you include the title and author so others know what you're reading.

This is my first post here this year.  I was off on a four month trip and it has taken me awhile to get back into the book blog rhythm.  My book is one I read several months ago.  It is Science Fiction Romance, my favorite to read.  It was a review copy and the release date was several month away.  I read it as soon as it arrived and then I put it back planning to review just before it came out and guess what.  It slipped through the cracks.  That was a shame because I loved the book.  The only problem was the ending.  It did not tie up everything so I expect a sequel. 

The book is Fortune's Hero by Jenna Bennett and here is the beginning.

"Quinn Conlan was bleeding to death.  Slowly, steadily, one drop at a time."

Here is what Goodreads says and it does make you wonder why he is bleeding to death on the first page.  It could make for a short book.


Quinn Conlan had it all: a fast ship, a great crew, a gorgeous girlfriend, money, and adventure around every bend. That was before he agreed to ferry a shipload of weapons to the besieged planet Marica. Now he’s stuck in the prison colony on Marica-3, enduring weekly sessions with the camp’s medical team,” and praying for a quick death before he breaks under the torture and spills everything he knows about the Marican resistance.

When opportunity strikes, Quinn takes Elsa, a Rhenian med tech, hostage and heads into the inhospitable interior of the small moon where he formulates a plan for getting his crew out of prison, his ship out of impound, and everyone out of orbit. But when Elsa professes her love, can Quinn take the beautiful doctor at her word, or will trusting her—and his heart—condemn him and his crew to an eternity on Marica-3.

3 comments:

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

Your thoughts about the first line and the main character bleeding to death got me giggling. Please visit my blog and sign up for my Blogoversary Giveaway. Anne @My Head is Full of Books

Julie said...

Oooh ... sci-fi romance! Very good beginning! :) Thanks for sharing!

Gilion at Rose City Reader said...

Creepy beginning! But it does make you want to keep going.

Welcome back to Book Beginnings on Fridays. Hope you enjoyed your trip!